2 Feb 2015

Making chunky beads from scratch

                                                               
                  


Collection of beads made from clay, crepe paper, Angelina film and shrink magic set in UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel)


 I used various stamps to emboss a pattern into the clay and cutters to make shapes and also some free hand molding to make shapes. Using a 70mm head pin to make the holes before baking the clay.



My concentrating face :-)


 I painted them using acrylic paint then added some metallic leaf and varnished them.


While the varnish was drying on my clay beads I prepared the paper and shrink magic (plastic) shapes to harden in the enamel. Cutting strips of metallic crepe paper and winding it round lolly pop sticks then gluing the end down.



I coloured some of the clear shrink plastic with alcohol inks before cutting the shapes out and the holes with a hole punch, because they shrink you need to remember to make them about 3 times bigger than the size of pendant/charm you want. I then used my heat gun to shrink them down and set them hard. 


These paper beads were made by wrapping Angelina film over the top and melting it on with my heat gun.


To set them all hard I melted some UTEE in my Ranger meltpot and dipped them in, it dried pretty fast so you only need to hold them for about 30 seconds before moving onto the next. This enamel melts at high temp so the beads are sure to stay solid.












No comments:

Post a Comment